Social Media Video Statistics for 2022
It’s no secret that video is becoming a staple in innovative brands’ marketing strategies. The sheer number of available formats and venues for social media video illustrates the point well (think TikTok, Instagram Reels and Facebook Stories, just to name a few). Of those social media marketers who use video, 93% say it’s a vital component of their strategies. But the format is still underused across the major social media networks.
Anyone who’s scrolled through Facebook, Instagram or Twitter recently knows that videos play a major part in your experience with these social media networks. Video has been a buzzword in marketing for years, and today brands are using it to carve out devoted followings on social.
The following social media video marketing statistics can help you determine how, when and why to use this type of visual content.
- More than half (54% to be exact) of marketers say that video is the most valuable content type for achieving social media marketing goals.
- Yet video is also the most underutilized format across Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, comprising 14%, 11% and 5% of each network’s content respectively.
- 93% of companies have acquired new customer(s) via social media video.
- 26% of marketers state that Stories are the most valuable type of social content.
- 25% of marketers say live video is the most valuable type of social content.
- Half of social media users prefer video over other types of content.
- 85% of social media users want more videos from brands.
- 35% of all North American B2C marketers use live video.
- People share video content with friends twice as much as any other type of content.
- 58% of viewers will watch the entirety of a business’ video if it’s less than 60 seconds long.
What this means for your social media marketing strategy
We’ve already established the benefits of video, but the data indicates brands are still struggling to make them a regular feature of their social media content calendars. If you want to stand out on social, be one of the few to make the most of the many video options out there. As you build your social media marketing strategy for the upcoming year, pepper in a few Reels or pencil in a plan to activate your Stories. Be consistent, track your performance and experiment to see what resonates with your audience.
Facebook video statistics
Over the past few years, Facebook has expanded its suite of video options. Today, the Watch tab allows users to view and engage with focused video content. Stories offer a specific brand of immediacy and interaction. And Facebook Live allows brands to host live events, give a peak behind the scenes or engage in real time with their audiences. The following statistics highlight the many opportunities for social media marketers to optimize their Facebook video strategies.
- 79% of marketers post video on Facebook.
- The vast majority (85%) of Facebook videos are watched without sound.
- Videos get 35% more views on Facebook when they are square (vs. landscape). Square videos also outperform landscape videos in Likes and engagement.
In follow-up posts, we’ll share statistics on video use on Instagram, Twitter and YouTube.
Contact us today and let us help you get in the video game.